UROC sponsors professional development and graduate school preparation workshops throughout the academic year for all students to attend. Our office staff will also assist students with preparing for graduate school and provide resources to further student achievement and success.
Workshops for Emerging Research Professionals
Workshops are designed to provide information and experiences vital to understanding the research process, advancing educational pursuits, acquiring a sense of academic professionalism, and managing the graduate school application process.
Examples of past workshop themes include:
- Identifying the right graduate program
- Writing an effective personal statement
- Understanding the interview process
- Requesting Letters of Recommendation
- Applying for Graduate Fellowships and Scholarships
- Mentoring and Mentorship in Graduate School
- Understanding Conflict Resolution
- Writing a scientific paper
- Mastering the Scientific Method
- Managing Finances and Time
- Developing a Career Plan
Workshop participants have the opportunity to develop the following real-world skills:
- Effective oral and written communication
- Critical thinking and complex problem solving
- Effective interdisciplinary teamwork
- Effective cross-cultural collaboration
- Proactive ability for research
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical responsibility
- Demonstrated understanding of global context and issues
- Demonstrated ability for self-reflection
- Demonstrated local and global civic engagement
GRE PREP Training and Testing
GRE prep training will be offered during the summer to CAMP, MARC, and UC LEADS scholars as part of the Summer Research Institute. Only students enrolled in the UROC fellowship programs are eligible to participate.
UROC student scholars are also eligible for a fee reduction voucher for 50% off of the test fee. All rising seniors are required to take the actual GRE prior to fall semester.