Undergraduate Research in the Humanities (UROC-H)
The goal of the UROC-H program is to engage promising undergraduate students each year in faculty-mentored research and prepare them for advanced education in the humanities and humanistic social sciences.
The following materials are needed to complete the UROC-H application:
- UROC-H online application form
- Statement of purpose and personal essay, as described in the online application
- One letter of recommendation
- One unofficial transcript from the my.ucmerced.edu portal
- Resume or CV
UROC-H will provide undergraduate scholars:
- Mentorship by a professor and graduate student
- Participation in UROC’s 9-week summer research institute (SURI)
- $3,500 research stipend
- $1,000 for conference travel
- $500 to support research activities
- Graduate school preparation & career coaching
Application deadline: October 30th
- Opportunities to work one-on-one with an undergraduate student or lead a research cluster of 3-5 students
- Opportunities to engage and integrate community partners in your research
- $1,000 in research funds per student mentored
"The term 'humanities' includes, but is not limited to, the study and interpretation of the following: language, both modern and classical; linguistics; literature; history; jurisprudence; philosophy; archaeology; comparative religion; ethics; the history, criticism and theory of the arts; those aspects of social sciences which have humanistic content and employ humanistic methods; and the study and application of the humanities to the human environment with particular attention to reflecting our diverse heritage, traditions, and history and to the relevance of the humanities to the current conditions of national life."
--National Foundation on the Arts and the Humanities Act, 1965, as amended
This collaborative program led by UROC, the Center for the Humanities, the Graduate Division, and the School of Social Sciences, Humanities, and Arts is made possible through a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Application period for Summer 2019 is Now Closed