Skip to content Skip to navigation
See our Campus Ready site for the most up to date information about instruction.Campus ReadyCOVID Help

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Am I allowed to conduct research outside of my chosen major or school?

Yes. Students may choose to conduct research in different field of study. The student is still responsible for finding their own faculty mentor.

Where can I find a list of faculty members at UC Merced?

You may find a list of UC Merced faculty and their research from the UC Merced directory.

Am I eligible for a summer program if I'm not a US citizen?

Yes. The programs that allow undocumented students are: UC LEADS, JGI, UROC-H, SURF, and SOAR. Check out the different programs here.

When should I ask for my letter of recommendation (LOR)?

Ideally, you should give your recommender no less than 4 weeks to write you a strong letter. You should ask your recommender for a letter either in person or email, and provide an explanation about what you are applying for and how it will benefit your future career.

Who should write my LOR?

The UROC selection committee prefers that the LOR be written by a professor, but we will accept letters from TA's or employers. Choose someone who can attest to your work ethic. 

Will my recommender receive an email?

Yes. Your recommender will receive and automated email once you have submitted the application. They are instructed to email in their letter to by a specific deadline which is stated in the email.

When and where will my recommender turn in their letter?

Your recommender will be instructed to email their letter to by a specific deadline stated in the application process.

Do I submit the necessary documents through the application?

Unfortunately, our system does not allow for documents to be uploaded. Instead, we ask all of our applicants to please send in their CV or resume and unofficial transcripts from all colleges attended after high school to 24 hours after the submission of their application.

I am a transfer student. Can I still apply for a summer program?

Yes. UROC encourages transfer students to apply for a summer program as soon as possible. 

As a transfer student who should write my letter of recommendation(LOR)?

You may have a professor from your previous college/university or a professor from UCM write you a letter. 

Are there a limited amount of spots offered and who is given priority?

There are a limited amount of spots offered to undergraduates for our summer programs. Due to our campus continuous growth, our summer programs have become more competitive and priority is given to rising juniors and seniors. That being said, UROC still encourages everyone to apply.

Is previous research experience required to apply for a summer program?

No. Previous research is not required to apply for our summer programs.

Can I still apply if I have previous research experience?

Yes. We encourage students who have had experience with a full research project and proper development to apply to SOAR.

I am signed up for summer classes and/or I have a job. Can I still participate?

Undergraduate research is a full-time commitment. Students will be working 40+ hour weeks depending on their principle investigator (PI) and will be paid a fixed amount throughout the summer. Because of this fact, we do not allow our scholars to take classes or work during the summer.

Can I continue my research during the academic year?

UROC is a summer program and allows students to be fully funded during the summer. If you wish to continue conducting research during the year, you must speak with your faculty mentor.

Can I see examples of past projects?

Yes. We have all of our past scholars on our Alumni Page with their abstracts. Just select a program and the year to view that summer program's cohort.