Joint Genome Institute (JGI)
The Department of Energy's Joint Genome Institute (DOE JGI) is managed by the Department of Energy's Office of Biological and Environmental Research (BER) to produce high-throughput DNA sequencing and analysis in support of its missions in alternative energy, global carbon cycling and biogeochemistry. This valuable partnership provides UC Merced students with the opportunity to experience research in a national laboratory setting.
UC Merced Interns Reflect on Their Summer Projects at JGI
Undergradaute students from UC Merced work closely with JGI scientists on research projects that contribute to the larger mission of the U.S. Department of Energy. Students also worked with their mentors to practice and develop presentation skills as well as build their network in the field of genomics and scientific research.
The topics students worked on ranged far and wide — from implementing new data visualization tools to using natural language processing techniques to categorize genetic information. Learn more about their work in a series of videos produced by JGI Communications & Outreach intern Ashleigh Papp.
Types of Research
Data science will be the emphasis for summer projects since JGI relocated to the Lawrence Berkeley Labs main site in Berkeley, CA this summer. Projects will continue to be remote in the future with the potential for a few students to be on-site in Brekeley. Students with basic microbiology and/or genomics understanding, ability to analyze large data sets, coding, and some experience with Python will be given priority in the application process.
Program Eligibility and Requirements
To be eligible for selection, each applicant must:
- Be enrolled in a UC Merced undergraduate degree program until Fall 2023 in the sciences, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM)
- Be on track to receive a bachelor's degree
- Be in good academic standing with the university
- Be able to demonstrate potential for success in a graduate program
- Prior research experience preferred, but not required
The following materials are needed to complete the JGI application:
- UROC online application
- Statement of purpose and personal essay, as described in the online application
- One letter of recommendation
- One unofficial transcript from the my.ucmerced.edu portal
- Resume or CV
Summer 2023 Application: Applications due January 30th at 11:59 PM
Students can apply to other national labs through the SULI application.
US Department of Energy - Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI)